July Newsletter 2021
What's Up @ WAC?
To celebrate how far we have come since the beginning of these unique times, WAC is hosting a Taco, Music and Dancing event on Saturday, July 24 from 4:00pm to 7:00pm. Music is provided by Daddy and the Innocents with two of WAC's own members, Mark Knell at bass and John Giammarrusco at lead guitar. Food will be available from Tacos Hell Yeah for $15 per person. Please click on the link below for more details. Space is limited, so be sure to sign up on the WAC mobile app under "Classes", "July 24" and "Welcome Back Party"
My hope was to announce that our Indoor Gym was reopening and we were back to normal times, only to hear the announcement that L.A. County Health is reinstating their order that all persons should wear masks indoors whether they are vaccinated or not. The good news is that the Indoor Gym IS reopened, but that masks will be required, for now. The optimist in me believes this will be for a short period of time as our community bands together to reduce the number of infections. If you are frustrated with these changes, please do not take it out on our staff, we are doing everything we can to remain operational for our members. I am including the contact information for L.A. County Health if you wish to voice your opinions:
Los Angeles County Department of Public Health
Health Education Administration
241 N. Figueroa St., Suite 147
Los Angeles, CA 90012
Main Phone: (213) 288-7270
Email: [email protected]
• REMINDER: Head Demo Day tomorrow (Saturday, July 17) from 9:30am to 10:30am. Demo any and all the latest Head racquets and find out from the experts what type of racquet work best for you!
• USTA and VCJTA Tournaments are returning and we will be hosting some of these events in the coming months. Court usage on these weekends will be limited during the middle of the day but we do our best to minimize the impact on our members. The dates of these tournaments follow:
July 31-August 2, August 21-22, September 25-26 and the USTA Men's 45's will be October 25-31
• We continue to review registrations for our open play events and will add more as needed. We are also reviewing additional programming opportunities including clinics and leagues, so keep an eye out for these updates
• I am finalizing the review of your responses to the Group Exercise survey that was sent out a couple of weeks ago and will begin adding classes to our Group Ex schedule as we are able to find instructors to teach them.
• We have restarted our Resistence, Strength & Stretching with Holly indoors on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 6:00p-7:00p.
• Reservations are no longer required for any of the gyms. The TechnoGym equipment and a treadmill that were located outside have been moved to the indoor gym. This equipment is not meant to be in an outdoor setting and will ensure they last longer once they are moved indoors. As I mentioned at the beginning of the update, masks will be required in the Indoor gym only for the time being.
• We plan to keep the tent where the existing TechnoGym equipment was located and will determine the best use of this space for our members.
• If you see any equipment that needs attention, contact the front desk, or me, as soon as possible so we can repair/replace it in a timely manner. Please continue to wipe down exercise equipment before and after use.
• With the summer months upon us, we are expecting an uptick in the usage of the lap pool. We are allowing reservations of up to 2 persons per lane and will have Lane 3 designated as a "drop in" lane at all hours. All other lanes will allow for 2 reservations each. Please click on the link below to review the lap swimming etiquette so you know what is expected when you share a lane. We want to make sure all our members are able to make a swim reservation and this requires opening up the pool to allow for as many swimmers as possible. We do not believe you will be sharing a lane every time you swim, but be prepared to share on occasion. We will continue to monitor these reservations and make any changes as needed.
Whenever possible, it will help to have family members swim in the same lane. You can set this up by having 2 family members make a reservation, with both planning to swim in the same lane during that time. To make the reservation at the same time and in the same lane, swimmer 1 will choose Lane #A and swimmer 2 will choose Lane #B. Choose your lane on the mobile app by selecting "Advanced Options" on the swim reservation page, then click on "All Lanes" and select the lane number you wish to reserve together.
• Masters Classes will continue as scheduled for now, but more swimmers are allowed to share the lanes. The Masters coaches will determine which swimmers will swim in which lanes based on skill level.
• Megan Gianini (Front Desk Staff and Camp Counselor…and long time member) will be leaving her positions at the club at the end of this month for a full time teaching job. She will be teaching 6th grade at Sequoia Middle School and could use the following items to help her set up her classroom:
pencils, pens, highlighters, mini whiteboards, markers, flash cards, and books!
Bring your donations to the WAC Front Desk.
While this challenging year is not completely behind us, we have come so far from the original lockdown order in March of 2020. Tensions remain high and I ask that all of us treat our members, guests and staff with respect. We have always been open to constructive feedback and will continue to be open to it in the future. WAC has been a place of refuge in these challenging times and we want it to remain so for our members going forward. Please continue to follow our protocols and be sure to take care of your health and well being. With everyone's efforts, I truly believe, WE'VE GOT THIS!
Westlake Athletic Club